Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Q6:"What is your long-term goal?"

December 17, 2014 marked my first anniversary as an entrepreneur and college drop-out. I invited friends to ask me about my journey. Here is the sixth of the series of questions and my response:

Q6:"What is your long-term goal?"

Freedom. I'm pretty sure I knew that when I was a kid, but throughout the ambiguity of my teenager-hood to adulthood, my goal in life became rather unclear. I think I've spent the last two years digging it up again, and now, whenever I remember it, it takes me by surprise. Losing your dream for a while also makes it hard for you to believe in it, so I'm working on that, too: I believe I am meant to be free!
(Me posing at the "My cause is" wall inside the Amway Headquarters in Ada, Michigan, October 2014.)

Let me tell you what I mean by "freedom." I mean that I want to get to a point where money is no object and where I have time to do things that I actually care about instead of spending most of my time working on making money. The more money you have, the less time you spend worrying about how you're going to pay the bills next month. Money gives you options, the freedom to act on your dreams. 
(Read more here.)

When I get my freedom, I won't have to say, "I can't afford to go on that trip" or "I can't afford to build a house" or "I'll never be able to help other people in the way that I want to." There are hundreds--maybe thousands--of good, wealthy people out there who have that freedom, and the difference between us and them is that, while we're busy doubting ourselves, they're asking themselves, "Why not me? Why not now?" Ask yourself those questions, then ask yourself what freedom means to you.
(Click on this video to let Jim Rohn ask you a few important questions.)


These days we hear a lot of people talk about how rich people are evil and the poor are being cheated out of getting a piece of the wealth the rich enjoy. We hear a lot of people talk about how they think Communism is the answer and how Capitalism doesn't work. If you happen to be one of those people, I'd like to invite you to let Earl Nightingale change your mind. 
(Click here to let Earl change your mind.)

Need more convincing?

 

(Just in case you needed more convincing...) 

So, basically, if you aren't rich yet, it's nobody's fault but yours. And one of the best way to help other succeed is to help yourself succeed first. The best way to help someone climb a mountain is to lead the way. 

Aside from the common sense perspective provided in the excellent talks posted above, I'd like to explore the Catholic perspective with you a little bit. 
(Read more about St. Josemaria Escriva here.)

I myself have much to learn, but I get the idea that God wants us to take it upon ourselves to become saints, and sainthood isn't acquired by faith alone. It comes, in part, through works. "Works" doesn't just apply to charitable works (ie. Corporal Works of Mercy), it also applies to the work that we do to make money. So we must sanctify our work--offer it up for the glory of God and make sure it aligns with His Will. Perhaps God has led you to the work that you are doing now. If that's the case, quit wasting time, because He's waiting on you to make things happen. It is through us that He accomplishes many of His own works. Zig Ziglar says that he believes God wants you to succeed. 

(John Paul II giving both spiritual and practical advice, as usual.)

So don't settle! Claim your God-given freedom and don't let anybody take it away from you. There's a lot of work out there for us to do, a lot of people out there for us to help, and some really big dreams for us to reach in the process. Decide what your own long-term goals are and, as Dexter Yager says, "Get the heartbeat for freedom!"





No comments:

Post a Comment